If you have signs of stress or low mood that do not go away after a few weeks, it’s important to talk to someone about it. We have successful programmes to help people experiencing mental distress.
How we can help
We all experience stress, difficult emotions and challenges in our lives. They can make us feel helpless, sad, worried, and angry. They may interfere with our daily habits, make us lose interest in things we enjoy, and can negatively affect our wellbeing.
If you have signs of stress that do not go away after a few weeks, it’s important to talk to someone about it.
Support from your Local Doctors clinic
Our GPs can give you advice and support about how to manage your stress and challenges.
The Wellness Support Team
The team has a range of individual and group support services available. All support services the Wellness Support Team provides are free and fully funded for registered patients of Local Doctors, White Cross and Bettr.
For general enquiries, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
There are a team of therapists who provide individual therapy. A few also work with children and adolescents, couples, relationships and whānau. They support people from all walks of life. People from all backgrounds (cultures, ethnicities, languages, sexual orientations, ages, etc.) will be warmly welcomed and treated with respect.
Therapy involves talking to a trained professional about challenges you may be experiencing. Our therapists are skilled at embedding skills, strategies and helpful activities that can enhance your day-to-day function, support your challenges, and help with your wellbeing.
Your GP or Wellness Advisor can refer you to our therapy team.
Aotearoa Mindfulness and Awareness/Mauri Tau me te Māramatanga Mindfulness-based course
Our 6-week courses take a look at holistic wellbeing through an integration of mindfulness meditation, teachings from Te Ao Māori, psychology and medical science.
The evidence-based course is proven to help reduce stress, improve sleep, manage emotions, improve relationships, grow resilience and self-compassion, and experience inner peace.
Your GP, Nurse, Wellness Advisor or Health Coach can refer you to our Mindfulness-based courses, or you can self-refer.
You can contact the team via email email@example.com.
Here is what participants have said about the course:
- Through this programme, I've been able to get back to feeling like myself again. I've been able to learn about being in the moment and not so stuck in the past/future. My overall wellbeing has improved, but mainly my mental and spiritual wellbeing. I'm also happy that we were emailed the resources so we can use them when we need to.
- Discover and understand your internal self more, and find new coping strategies for problem-solving and the integrity of your inner peace.
- This programme has helped me to reconsider how I look at life ahead of me, especially since I have had to undergo treatment (and I am still undergoing treatment) for a health issue, that usually is seen or considered as life-limiting.
Self-management Education Programme
Our 6-week self-management education course can be helpful for anyone with a long-term condition (physical and/or mental health) or a caregiver for someone with a long-term condition/s.
It is a space to learn tools on how to better manage your long-term condition/s through action planning, decision-making, and problem-solving. The group touches on healthy eating, physical activity, communication skills, dealing with emotions, and how to effectively work alongside our healthcare providers.
Your GP, Nurse, Wellness Advisor or Health Coach can refer you to our self-management education courses, or you can self-refer.
You can contact the team via email at firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com
Here is what participants have said about the course:
- They are great facilitators who are friendly, informative and have lived the experience
- Turned me from sorrowing about the past into being happy, active, not to take bad vibes from others personally. Speak up, Keep moving forward and be positive.
- Confidence to try new things to help better myself as a person and to understand we are never alone, also to be aware of my health choices because it's helpful for my mental health.
- This programme has encouraged me to keep on top of my health conditions with the tools and skills taught by our facilitators. I felt heard and seen more than I have in a long time. Attending this SME kept me going and allowed me to set ongoing goals every week, which helped me feel like I had a purpose. I really enjoyed this programme and look forward to participating in more.
Our 6-week men’s group is a combination of skills-based learning and a safe space for males to come together for support.
It is a space to learn emotional regulation skills, effective communication skills, parenting skills, tools for self-reflection and a safe space to share life’s stressors with other like-minded men.
Your GP, Nurse, Wellness Advisor or Health Coach can refer you to our Men's Group, or you can self-refer.
Here is what the participants have said:
- It helps to understand thoughts and feelings. It is an open forum, and you can share as much as you want. It is a non-judgemental group.
- Attend and show face. It's a great place to be, to learn more and know you aren't alone. Show you different ways to help and deal with situations.
- A safe place to be real with other guys. Good skills to help get out of stuck situations. Learn things to be a better person.
- A men's group can help you understand things about yourself that you might not understand trying to do on your own. Some men out there may have the same problems and can help you with it. This has changed me. 2 months ago, I was in a bad place. Not going out for 2 years. Shut in my bedroom. Now, I am out every day, and I feel amazing.
You can contact the team via email firstname.lastname@example.org
Enrol and save
Mental wellness clinics near you
Local Doctors provides quality, easy to access healthcare through our large clinic network. You can trust our friendly staff to work with compassion and listen to your needs. They are trained to work together as a team to offer high-quality medical care.
Where can I park my car?
Some clinics have ample parking, while others not so much. Please visit your nearest clinic’s page to find out more. We’ll also let you know if a clinic is close to public transport.
How long will I have to wait to see a doctor?
Most people in this country have to wait to see their doctor! That’s because people have different health needs and how long it takes to get the right help can be very unpredictable. It’s our long-held philosophy that you should be able to see a doctor on the day you need to – and not have to wait for days.
The most seriously ill people are seen first. The really good news is that you can now see on the clinic website pages what the expected wait time is at that clinic! That means you can find another clinic near to you with a shorter wait time, if need be, or choose to come another day.
What is ManageMyHealth and how do I join?
ManageMyHealth is a secure website that can receive your health information from your doctor’s system. You can use it to store other health information, too, such as other treatments you have received or other medications that you may be taking. This means you can access your personal health information from any device at anytime, anywhere in the world. If your clinic takes appointment bookings you can do this through ManageMyHealth as well as order repeat prescriptions. Your online Personal Health Record can be made up of:
- Consultation notes
- Laboratory results
Just ask the receptionist at your local clinic to sign you up to ManageMyHealth.
Where do I get my test results from?
When you have a blood test, or any other kind of test, your results will be sent to your clinic. If the results are normal, you will not be notified. If they are not normal, the clinic will phone you and discuss next steps. If you have a ManageMyHealth patient portal, you can find your results in there, once your doctor has reviewed and filed them. Or, if after two or three days, you are concerned about your results, you can call the clinic to find out.
How do I order a repeat prescription?
If you have a ManageMyHealth patient portal, you can order a repeat prescription online, otherwise please visit your clinic’s page and phone them.